This week we turn our attention to another part of the cannabis value chain: Manufacturing. This includes companies that create, infuse and make products or extracts. Nationwide there are 46 different license names for this activity and two thirds are from California. As we saw last week with dispensary/retail licenses, California and Oklahoma lead the pack accounting for 86% of 2019’s 2,498 issued licenses.
- Once again, it was a tale of Oklahoma and California for new Manufacturer licenses with Nevada a distant third.
- There are gigantic differences between the oligopolistic states like Iowa and PA and their western counterparts.
- In reviewing these licenses, there appears to be little in the way of market dominance – a quick perusal shows a few firms garnered four new licenses in 2019 and when this occurs they are usually in one state, not four. The license holders received four manufacturing licenses in 2019:
- MedMen Manufacturing in California & Nevada
- HERBAL GARDEN EXTRACT LLC in Colorado
- Livfree Wellness LLC in Nevada
- MJ Distributing Inc in Nevada
- Papa and Barkley in California
So far this year California and Oklahoma have already issued 20 and 19 manufacturing licenses respectively out of total of 45 nationwide though both are below their 2019 average of 90 and 100 per month.
Cannabiz Media customers can stay up-to-date on these and other new licenses through our newsletters, alerts, and reports modules. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive these weekly reports delivered to your inbox. Or you can schedule a demo for more information on how to access the Cannabiz Media License Database yourself to dive further into this data.
Cannacurio is a weekly column from Cannabiz Media featuring insights from the most comprehensive license data platform.
Ed Keating is a co-founder and Chief Data Officer of Cannabiz Media and oversees our data research and government relations efforts. He has spent his whole career working with and advising information companies in the compliance space. Ed has overseen complex multijurisdictional product lines in the securities, corporate, UCC, safety, environmental and human resource markets and focuses on workflow products over the last twenty five years. During that time he has worked for both startup and established information companies where he has led marketing, product management and sales organizations. These companies include Wolters Kluwer/Commerce Clearing House, CT Corporation, EDGAR Online and Business & Legal Reports. At Cannabiz Media Ed enjoys the challenge of working with regulators across the globe as he and his team gather corporate, financial, and license information to track the people, products and businesses in the cannabis economy. Ed graduated from Hamilton College and received his MBA from the Kellogg School at Northwestern University.